Electronics-Lab.com Community

n-chanel enhancement mode power mosfet

Goatman

Here's some pics of the completed car. It's literally too fast for it's own good  ;D
I used a rellay and a bd139. the pcb is glued with hot glue to the frame of the car.
all the lifted pads are from the original 4 mosfets which controlled forward, and reverse. with 1 relay i can only have forward. I don't want reverse, because if i don't press reverse or forward i can't steer (remote controll problem). So i just use reverse for steering when i'm not trying to break the sound barrier  ;).

to sum it up, this is a complete success. Thank you all for helping me out :)

post-8810-14279142207903_thumb.jpg

post-8810-14279142208129_thumb.jpg

The tie wrap used to hold it together but i glued the tire on instead. I should remove it, but it adds ghetto-ness lol.
I think the tires wil be fine (hopefully) if they wear out it think i'll just buy a new car  :). I've tortured this one enough .  ;D

n000 i fried the motor. It started to smoke, drove at close to full speed for 2 metres or so then smoked heavier, slowed down then stopped alltogether. It was good while itm lasted.
I'm buying a new motor today tho. Also rated at 12V I can't find any motors the same size that are rated at a higher voltage :(

Ok i've installed this motor
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=YM2716&CATID=&keywords=motor&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=
the problem is that this motor is about half as powerfull as th old one. Car goes as slow as it did before the high voltage mod.
Where can i get a more powerfull motor. The the drivetrain is pretty low, when driving down the hill it is little faster than on flat land, so i need more RPM than i need power.

I could get this 6V motor which does 9k rpm at 6v, so at 12V it would do 18k rpm roughly
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=YM2712&CATID=&keywords=motor&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=

Any suggestions?

You can't use the motor's high RPM unless your gearing matches it. You need a motor with high torque at the RPM it will be running at in your application.
If you use a 6V motor with a 12V supply, its voltage and current are both doubled so it tries to produce 4 times its rated power. Guaranteed burn-out like your other motor.

Guest Alun

I agree with you completely audioguru,

But whether the motor burns out depends on the loading as well as the power supply. If you run a 6V motor off load at 12V it woudn't dissipate 4 times the power, because as the motor spinns faster it genterates more back EMF that counteracts the supply, the power consumption will go up but not as much as you think. So you can safely overvoltage a motor if the load is very light. In this application however as the motor speed increases the load will also increase due to increased air resistance so over-voltageing the motor is a very bad idea and it will cause it to overheat.

Guest Alun

I've just done an experiment with an old electric screwdriver, the batteries are dead so it might be srapped anyway.

It's rated for 3.6V

Off load just the motor on it's own not driving any gears:

3.6V 880mA.
7.2V 1050mA

3.6V with just the gears and no additional load, 2020mA.

I haven't tested it with a large load like tightening a screw, but I'd imagine it will draw a lot more than 2A, probably 3 or 4A.

Conclstion, running this motor at a higher voltage would be fine if the load is also reduced.

I have a no-name-brand electric screwdriver that is over-geared so much that it takes it forever to drive a screw into wood. But when the screw is tight, the thing wrenches my arm off. They should have an automatically variable transmission like a few newer cars have. ;D