• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Audioguru

A small problem.
I need to change some resistor values in the warning part of the circuit.(Old circuit) When I set R11 to 47K it moans on 1000 rpm. When I adjust R11 to 0 the highest revs I get is 1500 rpm. I need to gain at least another 2000 rpm. Because I cant go further than zero I assume that lowering some resistor values, would do the trick.
So I’m not sure which ones.

Any suggestions as to what resistors I could change.

Thanks
Pieter

Hi Pieter,
In the original project, didn't you remove R10? It scales-up the RPM range a little.
I think R11 could be adjusted for higher RPM's if you reduce the value of R12 maybe to about 27k. Then the setting of R11 would be very sensitive near zero ohms so should also be reduced to about 20k.
Instead of changing all those resistors, try 47nF for C3. ;D

Hi Audioguru

In the right up the author sugested the following.

Depending on the engine's cylinders number, R11 can be unable to set the device properly. In some cases you must use R11=200K and R12=100K or less.

I did follow his advice but with with little change. So I thought I could make changes somewhere else. With your advice I have more room for improvement.

The thing is that I don't want to tamper with components that might afect others. Thus causing more harm than good.

I will try your advise and let you know

Thanks
Pieter

Hi Audioguru

What is wrong with this picture.
This is a Make before break single pin select switch. This configuration means the values of the 4 pots. Is there a different way of  doing it or should I rather get a switch that select 2 pins simultaneously so that each pot could be selected individually?

Thanks
Pieter

post-9483-14279142269134_thumb.jpg

Hi Audioguru

The black lines does represents the connections as you sugest. The switch also selects each pot individually.

What happens is that instead of each (SELECTED) pot adjusting between 0 and 100K, each selected pot adjust only between 55K and 85K. It doesn't go to zero and it doesn't go to near 100K.

How ever, If I only use ONE pot the adjustment goes between 0 and 100K

This is what I mean that it means (averages) the values

Pieter

Audioguru

I meant to ask you. I have the project working in a way.
With this unit working on rpm it should warn on what ever revs are set.
In my car the unit is set for 2000rpm which represents approximately 60 kph.
When you pull away from stand still in first gear the revs reaches 2000rpm. Switching to second gear, before changing to third gear it reaches 2000 rpm.
So whilst changing gears the alarm sounds every time the revs reaches 2000rpm.
My question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is there a way that one can delay the alarm if the revs changes irregularly?
Or is there a way to make the unit respond ONLY when the revs has stabilized?
Any ideas to take the annoying beeps away whilst changing gears would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pieter

Hi Pieter,
It ain't complicated and it ain't a speed-limit alert. It's an RPM alert! ;D ;D

If you want a speed sensor then drag a 5th wheel behind your vehicle.
Or you could hookup something to your ABS sensors.

You could slow the circuit's response time by increasing the value of the 1uF capacitor at pin 4 of the LM2917. Then it might be so slow it will drive you crazy! ;D ;D

Hi Pieter,

It’s easy, you need a sensor for one of the drive shafts (if a front wheel drive) or the driveshaft if rear wheels drive! This way you are measuring the speed and not the RPM which is not related to the speed since you have more than one gear. 8)

Hi Ante

I was actualy playing around with audioguru and the 5th wheel. As you might have noticed from his posting that in my opinion I think he was sarcastic. So I humored him.

Anyway I was looking at magnetic sensors as well as reflective laser pick up's that works on a shaft. (Prop shaft or drive shafts).There is a variety of sensors (pick-up's) available. If one would go for the magnetic version then you would need something like a belt with magnets evenly spaced to go around the shaft. With the laser, you would need a piece of tape with black markings evenly spaced around the shaft.

http://www.shumatech.com/dro-350/add-ons.htm
http://www.jeffree.co.uk/Pages/speedmeasurement.html

I still think it is posible to change a component value to slow the response time in the original circuit to avoid the anoying beeps. . . . . . . . . .  ;D

I would welcome any suggestions.

Pieter

Hi Pieter,

Yes I could see he was teasing you but my point was the problem of using the engine rpm for this purpose. The two links you provided are interesting and useful but I think maybe these types of sensors are too sensitive to work under your car. They will be exposed to all kinds of dirt and moist from the car itself and from the road. I would use an inductive sensor and a small piece of metal (or a number of like a cog, if more pulses are required) attached to the shaft. Inductive sensors are better suited to “live” in this environment. 8)
Just a suggestion.

Ante

You got me very interested in your suggestion. The small piece of metal, is this attached to the shaft with the inductor a few inches away?

Could you give more info as far as the specs of the inductive sensor. Perhaps if you have something on this type of configuration I would be happy to try it.

Thanks
Pieter

Pieter,
I suggest you continue to try contacting the author. I have e-mailed him a number of times and have had no problem with replies after a few days. Perhaps he is on holiday. In a past conversation, Red has told me all of the projects he posts on his site have been bench tested.

MP

• 1 year later...