Electronics-Lab.com Community

Humanoid with artificial intelligence and emotions.

Guest Alun

Guest Alun

Hi, I'm a total newb to electronics and engineering, I want to make a robot that will look like, feel and behave like a human being, how do I do it?

Do we ignore it?

Or do we tell them this is a very advance project and they're very unlikely to succeed?

What should we do if someone is thinking of a far fetched project way beyond their capabilities or the laws of physics?

:) alun this sounds really advanced, and the time and money involved in makeing a robot with all these features , is awsome , the japeneese are really good with robots but if you want it to look humen you may want to design it to look like humen , start by studying a model of the humen skeleton then intergrate your machanics and electronics into it  and servos and  all the things you need to make it move like a humen being , .

Guest Alun

Hi Steven,
Thanks for the reply, this wasn't meant to be serious. ;D

I'm making a point, sometimes people ask questions about projects that are either impossible or way to advanced for them. I was asking people whether it is better to ignore them or explain to them that they have little chance of succeeding. I think we should do the latter because we don't want to put poeple posting here and maybe we could suggest a different project that they might be interested in perhaps one on this site that's closer to their level.

:)hey alun what a world we live in , do you think that if we exspand our technology so much we would destroy our selfs,  as the awsome electromagnetic smogf will play havoc with everything electrical on earth, i saw a storey on the news years ago about the electromagnetic smog from a large us navy fleet was interfearing with the elctronics of  some of there own hellicopters

Hi Alun

looking at your original post, I can't help feeling that we also have the perennial problem that many of the people who post here don't have English as a first language and it is often difficult to determine, for me at least, what the question really is...

I'm afraid I'm of the school of thought that says no, don't ignore it but provide more than enough information so that the poster will realize that they have a lot more research to do.  This has the secondary benefit that even people of my advanced age get to learn something new/subtle almost every day.

Ed

Guest Alun

Thanks for the reply Ed,

I agree I think every thread deserves at least one reply even if it's saying them that their idea is impractical, but I think it would also be a good idea to give them a project they can build.

...on the other hand, a project that seems like it is too large in your eyes might not be so for this individual. Since you do not know what resources they have available to them, you are jumping in with a mind set to tell someone they are not capable of something. You are also looking at the post with the mindset that this person should not have posted it. With this in mind, your prejudices against the post are so great that it is highly unlikely that you will be helpful. So what lures you into posting at all? With a few thousand members, allow someone else.
I totally agree with Ed. If you have resources to share, share them.

But if your only contribution is to discourage, leave it alone.

MP

Guest Alun

MP,
I'm sorry if my post was badly worded but you've completely missed my point.

...on the other hand, a project that seems like it is too large in your eyes might not be so for this individual. Since you do not know what resources they have available to them, you are jumping in with a
mind set to tell someone they are not capable of something. You are also looking at the post with the mindset that this person should not have posted it. With this in mind, your prejudices against the post are so great that it is highly unlikely that you will be helpful.

I never prejudge anyone, why are you acusing me of this?

Many posts like the hypothetical post I started this thread with begin with the words "I'm a total newb to electronics" to indicate their level  of understanding.

So what lures you into posting at all? With a few thousand members, allow someone else.

I ask you the same question, what lures you into posting?

This is a silly question really, I post because I'm interested in the subject being discussed.

I totally agree with Ed. If you have resources to share, share them.

I agree with Ed also.

But if your only contribution is to discourage, leave it alone.

Now why would I want to discourage anyone?

Notice, how I didn't discourage Steven when he replied taking this subject seriously? I posted a very informative link too.

All I was saying is if someone states that their a total newb and then asks a question concerning a complex project, we should provide them with information and explain to them why the project is hard and if possible suggest a simpler project to slove the problem.

All I was saying is if someone states that their a total newb and then asks a question concerning a complex project, we should provide them with information and explain to them why the project is hard and if possible suggest a simpler project to slove the problem.

this is really the point that we differ.

Example: Thomas Edison had 3 years of schooling, could not cope in the education system, and had no electronic experience other than being a telegraph operator. After moving to Boston, and acquainting himself with Alexander Graham Bell and Benjamin Bredding, like minds who never told him he was a newbie and to take on simpler projects, Edison was able to accomplish many feats that well seasoned inventors could not fathom. A good example was when he moved to New York, looking for work because he had been fired from Western Union in Boston for not concentrating on his work. He came upon a manager of a local brokerage firm who was in a panic because his stock ticker was not working. Thomas had never worked on one (was a newbie), but after messing with it for a short period, was able to get it to work again. A very significant career move.

Some people are actually capable of taking on a big project from scratch and figure out how it works and/or how to accomplish their goal. To tell them a project is too complex is prejudging their speed and/or ability of comprehension.
Do not be insulted by the word prejudge. It is not an insult. It simply means "to judge beforehand without possessing adequate evidence". I am simply stating that one cannot have adequate evidence from a first post that someone does not have enough skill to do something that they want to do. In fact, I will not ever try and make such a judgement. "New to electronics" does not speak of comprehensive ability nor lack of eagerness/ability to learn. If I know the answer to a question or have the time to address it, I will. If it looks like it is going to be a long in-depth discussion, I might pass it up for lack of time to spend on it. If I know where to point someone for more info, I will do that. I will never tell anyone on this forum that they are not capable of doing something. Likewise, I will never tell someone on this forum to go try building something easier because I do not think they can handle it. BTW- This is more insulting to some than the word prejudge. In my own personal opinion, it is a pompous statement. 

MP

Guest Alun

Example: Thomas Edison had 3 years of schooling, could not cope in the education system, and had no electronic experience other than being a telegraph operator. After moving to Boston, and acquainting himself with Alexander Graham Bell and Benjamin Bredding, like minds who never told him he was a newbie and to take on simpler projects, Edison was able to accomplish many feats that well seasoned inventors could not fathom. A good example was when he moved to New York, looking for work because he had been fired from Western Union in Boston for not concentrating on his work. He came upon a manager of a local brokerage firm who was in a panic because his stock ticker was not working. Thomas had never worked on one (was a newbie), but after messing with it for a short period, was able to get it to work again. A very significant career move.

I think it's such a shame nowadays, 100 years or so ago people were discovering new things and making real techinical discoveries by conducting experiments at home. Now things are so much more complicated you need cutting edge scientific equiptment which is out of the price range of most ametures to make new discoveries.

Some people are actually capable of taking on a big project from scratch and figure out how it works and/or how to accomplish their goal. To tell them a project is too complex is prejudging their speed and/or ability of comprehension.
Do not be insulted by the word prejudge. It is not an insult. It simply means "to judge beforehand without possessing adequate evidence". I am simply stating that one cannot have adequate evidence from a first post that someone does not have enough skill to do something that they want to do. In fact, I will not ever try and make such a judgement. "New to electronics" does not speak of comprehensive ability nor lack of eagerness/ability to learn. If I know the answer to a question or have the time to address it, I will. If it looks like it is going to be a long in-depth discussion, I might pass it up for lack of time to spend on it. If I know where to point someone for more info, I will do that. I will never tell anyone on this forum that they are not capable of doing something. Likewise, I will never tell someone on this forum to go try building something easier because I do not think they can handle it. BTW- This is more insulting to some than the word prejudge. In my own personal opinion, it is a pompous statement. 

I think tnk2k put accross my point better then I did:

Hmmm, I think what Alun is trying to do to to steer the newbie subject toward simpler building blocks
to master prior to tackling the big project.  You got to learn to walk before you start to run.
Providing alternatives may suffice once they are known.

As MP said, help in whatever way you can.

I agree.

If it looks like it is going to be a long in-depth discussion, I might pass it up for lack of time to spend on it.

I'm enjoying it, I've learned lots of things from long in-depth discussions with people.

I guess free help and consultation is OK but free opinions are NOT OK?  ;D

That's an interesting opinion. ;D

I think opinions are something we all can't help but share in some way, for example one person might suggest one possible solution and another might suggest a different solution. They might argue with each other and provide information about why they think their solution is the best, as long as the discussion remains constructive and doesn't become personal they and other people here stand to learn a lot from it.

To be honest I think if you have an opinion that's helpfull and is of constructive critism then you should share it, otherwise keep it to yourself.