Electronics-Lab.com Community

up/down counter with 0-15 bcd output?

I am looking for an up/down counter that can give me a 0 to 15 bcd output.

All the ones I have looked at are 0-9. I found the Maxim ICM7217AIPI which does 0-9999 plus drives the 7 segment displays, but costs ~$14 at newark and is probably overkill.

Am I missing something, or just looking in the wrong places?

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/74series.htm#74393

7490 decade (0-9) ripple counter
7493 4-bit (0-15) ripple counter

NC = No Connection (a pin that is not used).
# on the 7490 pins 6 and 7 connect to an
internal AND gate for resetting to 9.
For normal use connect QA to clockB and
connect the external clock signal to clockA.

These are ripple counters so beware that glitches may occur in any logic gate systems connected to their outputs due to the slight delay before the later counter outputs respond to a clock pulse.
The count advances as the clock input becomes low (on the falling-edge), this is indicated by the bar over the clock label. This is the usual clock behaviour of ripple counters and it means a counter output can directly drive the clock input of the next counter in a chain.

The counter is in two sections: clockA-QA and clockB-QB-QC-QD. For normal use connect QA to clockB to link the two sections, and connect the external clock signal to clockA.

For normal operation at least one reset0 input should be low, making both high resets the counter to zero (0000, QA-QD low). Note that the 7490 has a pair of reset9 inputs on pins 6 and 7, these reset the counter to nine (1001) so at least one of them must be low for counting to occur.

Counting to less than the maximum (9 or 15) can be achieved by connecting the appropriate output(s) to the two reset0 inputs. If only one reset input is required the two inputs can be connected together. For example: to count 0 to 8 connect QA (1) and QD (8) to the reset inputs.

Connecting ripple counters in a chain: please see 74393 below.

74390.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/cmos.htm

4029 up/down synchronous counter with preset
The 4029 is a synchronous counter so its outputs change precisely together on each clock pulse. This is helpful if you need to connect the outputs to logic gates because it avoids the glitches which occur with ripple counters.
The count occurs as the clock input becomes high (on the rising-edge). The up/down input determines the direction of counting: high for up, low for down. The state of up/down should be changed when the clock is high.

For normal operation (counting) preset, and carry in should be low.

The binary/decade input selects the type of counter: 4-bit binary (0-15) when high; decade (0-9) when low.

The counter may be preset by placing the desired binary number on the inputs A-D and briefly making the preset input high. There is no reset input, but preset can be used to reset the count to zero if inputs A-D are all low.

Connecting synchronous counters in a chain: please see 4510/16 below.

4029.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4510 up/down decade (0-9) counter with preset
4516 up/down 4-bit (0-15) counter with preset
These are synchronous counters so their outputs change precisely together on each clock pulse. This is helpful if you need to connect their outputs to logic gates because it avoids the glitches which occur with ripple counters.
The count occurs as the clock input becomes high (on the rising-edge). The up/down input determines the direction of counting: high for up, low for down. The state of up/down should be changed when the clock is high.

For normal operation (counting) preset, reset and carry in should be low. When reset is high it resets the count to zero (0000, QA-QD low). The clock input should be low when resetting.

The counter may be preset by placing the desired binary number on the inputs A-D and briefly making the preset input high, the clock input should be low when this happens.

4510-16.gif

Connecting synchronous counters in a chain
The diagram below shows how to link synchronous counters, notice how all the clock (CK) inputs are linked. Carry out (CO) feeds carry in (CI) of the next counter. Carry in (CI) of the first counter should be low for 4029, 4510 and 4516 counters.

syncount.gif

Thank you so much, that website was very helpful. I read through the whole site. I didn't know about switch bounce, and how  it will mess up counters (I am not that far with my breadboard yet) . I am planning on controlling the up/down with a dual throw toggle switch.