Electronics-Lab.com Community

IC Help

rybitski

I don't know. I know very little about IC's and not enough to know the difference between them. I have used a 555 timer in one of my projects before, I got the directions ofline. It worked, but I don't know why or how it worked.
This is a very vast topic I know...
Is there a beggining to start at?

Hi rybitski,

As Staigen suggested, find a “starter” book and get right in to it!
And maybe you should take a look at this site too:  http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/electricCircuits/
You will find six good books to download free, this will give you a good start!
Please let us know how you are getting on and: Good Luck! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

rybitski,

It is true you must understand basic electronic theory to understand how to utilized IC's in circuit, especially if you want to design with them.  But even then you will not totally understand how or what is going on inside them fully.  So I found it helpful to view them as black boxes, if you give the correct inputs, you should get the desired outputs.  Therefore often times when you can't figure out why your circuit is not working properly, and you have checked that all required input information (supply voltages and input information) then you have not other choice but to assume that the black box (in this case an IC) is not working.  The more complex the IC becomes, or the more pins it contains the more this way of thinking and trouble shooting is helpful I have found.

IC's can really make electronics fun and a lot less work, but they come with limitations as well.

Enjoy,
TG :)