Electronics-Lab.com Community

12 V DC to a 220V AC Inverter AMplfier Design

THere is an idea in my mind which i want to ask if it is applicable or not. THe Idea is to create a SInewave Oscillator , amplify the sine wave signal and that it reaches a 220V P-P ,

Sine wave oscillator -->  Class A Amplfier --> 220V Sine wave AC Signal

The only thing i don't know is how the amp need to be designed or even if this idea is correct

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 220VAC sinewave is 622Vp-p.
A Class-A amplifier uses its full power whether it is fully loaded or not, so becomes extremely hot and wastes as much power as it delivers at full load. It is a total waste of power at low loads.

Think about using a Class-D switching amplifier that is very efficient (doesn't waste much power because it doesn't get very hot).
The inverter has a very high output voltage so maybe it would be less expensive to use a high current medium voltage Class-D audio amplifier driving a stepup transformer.

i have another idea  why use a power amplifier  ;D

Generate a Sine wave oscillator and then use a transformer simply to step up the Signal of 10V to 220V , i mean as simple as it gets . Beacuse since the 10V is an AC SIgnal. But as simple as it is , the Current Rating of the oscillator should be very high . so we can make a sinewave oscillator using power transistors with high current ratings , or power op amps .

plz reply if it is correct  ???

Your idea of using a linear sine-wave generator wastes a lot of power as heat. Even if the high current output of the generator operated in Class-B to save power when the load was low, it would heat about the same power as the load at full output. Half the power from the battery would be wasted.

If you use a 12V battery then the output from the generator would be a sine-wave of only about 3.5V RMS. If it was designed like an audio power amplifier then for 1000W output the circuit would heat with 1000W, the battery current would be 184A and the load on the circuit will have an impedance of only 0.012 ohms.

If you use a Class-D switching output then only 5% to 20% of the battery's power would be wasted as heat.

A Class-C amplifying transistor conducts only part of the time so has very high distortion. Radio circuits use them because they can tune the LC load to substatially reduce the distortion. 50Hz or 60Hz is such a low frequency that an inductor and capacitor to tune to the low frequency with high power is impractical.

So are there any ideas for a switching amplifer and how is it to be interfaced with my oscillator idea... and the transformer one..

Class-D switching amplifiers are complicated. Ones for audio use a fairly low supply voltage. TI has an IC with up to only 240W output.
A sine-wave oscillator would drive a class-D amplifier which would drive a stepup transformer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A square-wave inverter 's output goes: positive pulse, negative pulse, positive pulse again, negative pulse again and repeats.

A simple modified sine-wave inverter's output goes: positive pulse, 0V pause, negative pulse, 0V pause, positive pulse again, 0V pause again, negative pulse again, 0V pause again and repeats.
It is not difficult to make the 0V pauses.

I don't bother with a modified sine-wave inverter because tools with variable speed motors and other things don't work properly with it.

You could make a modified sine-wave with a CD4047 oscillator and a CD4001 quad NOR gate or CD4011 quad NAND gate.
The oscillator of the CD4047 and its Q output would be gated and drive one of the push-pull output transistors. The oscillator output and the Q-Not output would be gated and drive the other push-pull output transistor.

dear audioguru can u show or tell me how can i connect it to be modified sine wave?? can i use the circuit i posted here http://www.electronics-lab.com/forum/index.php?topic=1360.112 to change from sine wave to modified sine wave inverter? cos i wan to use mosfet than transistor to increase the efficiency of the inverter...thanks lots ;D ;D