Electronics-Lab.com Community

Current monitor/sensor

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think if need a simple ,you can use the Variable-Resistance(VR),and set the current to your need and then use a Comparator .
Or use a small value Resistance to sample the current ,and then get the volatage to analysis.
that is the similar in the battery charger.

============================================================
Extract the code for you from the protected MCU for legal use!

Overseas Market Department:
Tel:+86-21-68458945
Fax:+86-21-50454820
[email protected]
MSN:[email protected]

www.wafersensor.com

http://listing.hk.business.yahoo.com/en/13945/index.html

• 6 years later...

Hi guys!

I want to sensing the current in my circuit (SLA battery tester) with current monitor IC ZXCT1109 but i have one question/issue?
Can i sense the current with Rload before the ZXCT or i need to use Rload as shown in datasheet?
Below is picture to best undertending:
ZXCT1107-circuit-10.png&w=850&h=1100&ei=

In my case:
attach

post-82005-14279144497525_thumb.png

I want to sense the current in my circuit (SLA battery tester) with current monitor IC ZXCT1109 but i have one question/issue:
Can i sense the current with Rload before the ZXCT or i need to use Rload as shown in datasheet?

I tried to sense current with this methode but i can't read any voltage on output pin

The IC is called and is shown as a high side current sensor but you connected it as a low side current sensor so of course it WILL NOT WORK!

post-1706-14279144497771_thumb.png

It is true but i have one resitor 0,47E before ZXCT current monitor, which is regulated by OPAMP pwm controled and limiting current is about 10Amps.
Therefore can I use onther 10mE resistor as load and sensing the current on this resistor, so i don't need to change my circuit, just put in the line??
I hope that it is understandable!

I made a battery analyzer, which can analyze the battery and discharge it. I can set up the discharge current with pwm controled voltage regulated through resistor. Voltage on resistor limitc the current, which flow from battery. I did the mistake and i put ZXCT at the end of circuit, because i was not careful what is show in datasheet. This analyzer would also be possibility of charge the baterry and all circuit swithing between charge and discharge through two relay and therefore i put the current monitor at the and of circuit but i made a mistake as shown.

How can I avoid this problem?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, I fixed the problem and i put the ZXCT1109 as shown in datasheet but i still have one problem.
If i want to get 0-5V output voltage and 0-10A sensing current i must put the Rsense of volue 10mE and Rgain 12,5kE, i get equations in datasheet.
But now i testnig the proper function of this measurments and i get 140mV in output with sense voltage 8,5mV and 410mV with sense voltage 16,4mV.
This is not what i want and not as calculated, it must be something wrong because i should get 0,5V in output with 1A (10mV sense voltage) current and so on, therefore 2A/V resolution??
???

• 1 year later...

The IC is called and is shown as a high side current sensor but you connected it as a low side current sensor so of course it WILL NOT WORK!

Hi...a long time ago i asked a question about ZXCT placement in circuit and i started a project again and i will continue where i stayed, so i have one question.
In circuit below, which represent microcontroler (PWM) regulated discharge current/power with OP folower as we can see, where where shpuld i place the ZXCT1107 and shunt for measuring in circuit to ensure me relevant information about current??

post-82005-142791448907_thumb.jpg

Your camera is horrible. Why don't you sketch the schematic using Microsoft Paint program or another program?

Your opamp has no power supply so it will not work. If it has only a single positive supply and ground then it must have inputs that have a common-mode voltage range that includes ground like an opamp in an LM358 dual opamp.

It looks like you are heating the load resistor by discharging the battery into it. The battery current also includes the base current of the PNP transistor.
Connect the sensing resistor for the ZXCT1107 between the positive terminal of the battery and the emitter of the PBZXCT110NP transistor.

Sorry I took a picture quickly with phone and bad light i just want to show example where to put ZXCT because i did not get a reliable resault before at output pin of ZXCT.
I didn't draw a power supply but i have it off course, it is 24V and i took LM324 which have common-mode voltage range.
I took into account of base current of battery discharging also, this is the reason why i want to measure current via current monitor.
so i should put the ZXCT as mentioned, this is what made me confused.

• 1 month later...

Your camera is horrible. Why don't you sketch the schematic using Microsoft Paint program or another program?

Your opamp has no power supply so it will not work. If it has only a single positive supply and ground then it must have inputs that have a common-mode voltage range that includes ground like an opamp in an LM358 dual opamp.

It looks like you are heating the load resistor by discharging the battery into it. The battery current also includes the base current of the PNP transistor.
Connect the sensing resistor for the ZXCT1107 between the positive terminal of the battery and the emitter of the PBZXCT110NP transistor.

Should i place shottky diode between transistor collector and load resistor for protection?
Voltage from OP folower feedback can occur also on transistor collector or no?

Your circuit is missing a resistor from the collector of T2 to the base of the PNP output transistor to limit the base current. T2 will probably overheat without it.
The PNP output transistor is missing a resistor from its base to its emitter to help turn it off.
Both transistors add delay and additional voltage gain so the entire circuit will probably oscillate.

I think you should use a fast driver emitter-follower driving a fast power transistor emitter-follower since they have no voltage gain and their very small delay will not cause oscillation:

post-1706-14279144903583_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for your help!
i will thinking about my circuit and which material i have available for this project and maybe i should corrent my current circuit

i have onother PNP transistor and how should i connect each other in parallel to decrease dissipation of single transistor and therefore obtain less temperature on my heatsink, i think that it's quite same than with npn which must have emmiter resistor to equalize current through both transistor, it isn't?