Electronics-Lab.com Community

6v charger regulator

hi, unsure the amp of stator but the voltage goes upto 8v on high revs so ive got a voltage regulator upto 3amp to put on it so it doent keep blowing my 6v bulbs, i was thinking of putting the regulator between the battery and stator so it keeps the voltage at 6v constant and doesnt excees 3amps if thats any help.  thae battery is 6v 4.2AH

thanks

A 6V lead-acid battery isn't 6.0V. It is fully charged and is trickle-charged at between 6.9V and 7.2V.
The headlight on your bike might draw 10A which would come from the voltage regulator. If the voltage regulator cannot supply the current then the headlight won't light.
Most electronic voltage regulators don't work unless the input voltage is at least 2.5V more than the output voltage. They won't work on your bike.

so can you tell me what your solution is for this, the bits i have are... 6v 35w headlight. a 6v 4.2AH sealed rechargable battery. (Diamec) 4x l7806cv to pigyback to get 4amp. what can you suggest? perhaps a higher 12v regulator and resistor it? and same for the charging?

Thanks

Your battery charges at about 7V, so the 7806 regulators have too low a voltage.
A couple of diodes in series with the regulators would raise their voltage to 7.4V which is too high. One diode would raise the voltage to 6.7V which is too low.
The 7806 regulator needs an input voltage of at least 8.5V to regulate properly and higher if diodes are used to raise the voltage.

Your headlight needs 35W/6V= 5.8A when hot and much more when cold, which 4 regulators cannot supply.

A 12V regulator won't work because your system doesn't have a 14.5V input for it.
A resistor isn't a voltage regulator.

Look at how a car regulates the voltage from its alternator. It adjusts a small current in its field coil which regulates its output voltage. Maybe your bike has an alternator and maybe it has a field coil. Maybe your bike has a magneto for its ignition which cannot supply the power to operate a headlamp.