Electronics-Lab.com Community

efficient 12v to 5v regulator chip.

fever16

hello all,
i need 5v supply from my vehicle 12v battery.i know i can use 7805 but the problem is my circuit drives 20 LEDs continuously which roughly needs more than 400ma of current(over all).and the area is so conjusted i can't mount a big heat sink.
so can i use dc-dc converter for this purpose.
which chip is best for automotive project (if it is from MAXIM i can order a sample  ::) )
thanks

Or, you could get a tiny switcher from this site's advertisers here:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW0XX.htm

80% efficient, 1A output, and a tiny drop in replacement for the 7805! I haven't tried any, but they sure look good to me.

If they really are over 80% efficient, these units would only dissipate half a Watt when supplying 400mA at 5V.

Here is another possible solution:

http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/MAX724-MAX726.pdf

High current, high efficiency, no heatsink, low part count, free samples and no fuzz! ;)

yes i saw those.but no samples for these chips  :(
any other maxim chips.
@hotwaterwizard
thanks i'll try these too

If I got it right here you need less than 500mA and this should be fine with almost no heatsink at all. If you fit it in a metal box just bolt it to the box and you’ll be fine. The tab of the MXL1074CT-SL is common ground so you don’t need any insulation for it if you don’t want to. (I presume your bike has negative ground connected to the frame)!?

• 1 month later...