Electronics-Lab.com Community

3D TV the next step

monoman

hi

any body ever been to a 3D cinema? remember those stupid glasses with the red a green lenses? well phillips has announced the arrival of a new 3D TV in your own home sometime in late 2007/2008, eliminating the need to wear 3D specs. also it is posiible to veiw the TV at a fairly wide range of angles while still retaining the 3D effect.

I first saw this in a gadget magazine called 'stuff' in UK, and have since been looking for decent info about it on the web. I found this website for anyone who is interested:

www.business-sites.philips.com/3dsolutions/3dtechnology/DisplaySignalProcessing/Index.html

if anyone has found more info about this on the web please post it. Another gadget relating to TV's which grabbed my attention was ambilight TV's, a less recent innovation but still quite intriging. (link below).

http://www.research.philips.com/technologies/syst_softw/ami/ambilight.html

p.s. I have also heard these are good for reducing eye strain and headaches during long periods of veiwing.

what are your opinions?

monoman

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest 8lectronic

Well, 3D TV sets have been flooding the market in the past few months - I believe most still come with glasses though (?). Personally Im skeptical of these. I dont think the effect is all that great...and Im a bit worried the strain it may cause on the eyes (especially long-term). The ambilight TV sounds much better in that regard.

Of course you must use special glasses with 3D TV.
The recording was made with a left eye picture and a right eye pcture. The pictures alternate very quickly so you don't notice. The glasses are sync'd to the alternating pictures so that the left eye sees only the image recorded for the left eye and the right eye sees "guess what".

Without the glasses the screen is just a blur.

I doubt that's the case audioguru, may be for the older systems but not for the new.

Modern systems don't rely on active glasses, they use differently polarised light for left and right channels and the glasses are just polarising filters (poloroid) with opposite filtering for left and right channels.

Even newer 3D TVs won't need silly glasses because they have lenses which focus the light for the left and right image into the viewer's respective eye.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/mar/10/3d-television-without-glasses

Philips don't sell TVs in Canada anymore.
LG (Korean formerly called GoldStar) might also not be available in Canada.

Sony had a worldwide release of their new 3D TVs about 1 month ago. Each set comes with 2 pairs of glasses but they don't say if they are active or passive.

Cnet http://news.cnet.com/3d-tv-faq/?tag=contentMain;contentBody says that 3D movie theaters use polarized glasses and 3D TVs use active LCD shutter glasses.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw Avatar on a 3D tv...not that impressive oh and the 3D only works on 3d dvds so now if I want to buy the tv I have to replace all of my blu ray movies if I want to watch them in 3D. I am still interested to watch a football or basketball game on a 3D tv.

Has anyone watched sports on the 3D? Were you impressed?

• 1 month later...

I'm not like 3d Technology .3D technology tricks the brain by showing the left eye one image and the right eye another. The brain layers these images together to produce a 3D image. For the latest 3D movies, polarizing glasses filter different images for each eye. In 3D TV sets, battery-powered active-shutter glasses open and shut many times a second in sync with the TV image to show each eye a different picture.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...