Electronics-Lab.com Community

Need to build a computer controled keyboard

Hello, forgive me for I am just starting to get into electronics but a friend of mine has come to me to help him with a project.  He's asked me to come up with a way to control a keyboard via a computer.  So far I've took apart a keyboard and have tried to learn what I can about the protocols used by the ps2 ports it used to communicate to a computer and have come to the decision that instead of recreating a keyboard signaling ability that I would take the board from a keyboard and "simulate" the pressing of key by bridging the connections you would normally bridge by pressing a button.  But this idea is about as far as I could go.  I'm thinking that I would need some sort of USB interface to a micro controller that I would send a code to, that code would be used to "decide' what two pins to bridge.  beyond that I'm at a stopping point.  does anyone here have an idea where I need to go from here?  What kits I should get and so forth.  I am a programmer but electronics, and micro controllers are a new thing to me so any help would be useful.  Thanks.  If it helps any the bridged connections I would have to make are the number of possibilities between a group of 10 pins and a group of 21 pins so about 210 possibilities.

being new to this i'm going to assume that the bc550 listed on your diagram is like a "switch" and that when you send a signal to it it causes the bridged conection that simulates what would happen if you press a key on your keyboard? That leads me to think i would almost need 1 pin/bc550 for each "key" that needs to be pressed.  also i found another keyboard that has a 15 group and a 9 group for 135 posable conections.. atleast that shortens it to 24 pins total