Electronics-Lab.com Community

Motorcycle Universal Gear Indicator - Parts

MrSmith

Anyone know what kind of connectors the JPx connectors are? Do you have a Mouser.com link? There are two kinds of connectors in this project and I can't find either.
I "think" I have chosen the other parts correctly, but I can't find the pin connectors. Mouser is a big site and I don't know how many pin connectors I have looked at, but none look like those in the pictures. Searching for JPx doesn't help. Any help on what to look/search for?

Thanks!

Motorcycle Universal Gear Indicator
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/automotive/006/index.html

• 1 month later...

I think the phrase we are looking for is "Pin Strip Headers". It took me forever to find that out.

4094a.jpg

Manufacturer:  Molex 
Product Category: Headers & Wire Housings
RoHS: RoHS Compliant Details
Series: KK Series
Product Type: Pin Strip Headers
Pitch: 2.54 mm
Number of Positions / Contacts: 8
Number of Rows: 1
Mounting Style: Through Hole
Mounting Angle: Right
Housing Material: Polyamide (PA)
Contact Material: Brass
Contact Plating: Tin
Voltage Rating: 250 V
Current Rating: 4 A
Packaging: Bag

There are probably some other names as well. I'm going to keep looking to see what I find. But I might try these.

• 1 month later...

I've just read through this project.

I think it's very clever how an old CMOS CD4026 is used in conjunction with an MCU so a 7 segment display can be controlled with only two pins.

I have a couple of issues though:

The documentation of how it actually works is lacking. Fortunately I soon figured it out. To display a digit, the CD4026 is reset, then the required number of clock pulses are sent to the CD4026 in order for it to count to the required number which happens too fast for the eye to see. It seems to do the same thing regardless of whether it's counting up or down, I would've thoght that counting up could be done more efficiently by simply sending another pulse to the CD4026, although I suspect that may have required more code so wouldn't be worth it.

I don't see any need for R1, the low power CMOS outputs should already limit the current enough to safely drive LEDs, the datasheet specifies 3.2mA with Vdd = 5V, the output is high and the voltage across the load is 2.5V, for red LEDs, the current will be higher, for blue, the current will be lower. If current limiting resistors were required (suppose you used the 74HC4026) you'd need seven resistors, one fore each LED.

I know I'm being picky here but the power supply pins should be placed CD4026 on the symbol for clarity's sake.