Electronics-Lab.com Community

Voltage / Frequency Powersupply

xenobie

My Dear Friends,

I have an old system which basically allows me to vary DC voltage and frequency such that the output is like a square wave in a function generator but which can take a couple of Amps. At the moment, I have a large transformer which supplies power to another variable transformer (this is how voltage is varied) which is then connected to a "board" which does the "chopping" (square wave).

The problem is that this board has blown up due to old age, and the manufacturer's solution is simply to scrap EVERYTHING and buy everything new which is out of question. My question is this; can you help me understand what is going on, so that I can look-for/ask the right questions? May you even point me to the right circuit...

The application is in a chicken factory whereby before processing the chickens, they are softly stunned using this voltage / frequency stunner so as to be in accordance with animal rights and EU regulations.

I hope someone can help me reuse both transformers while creating a totally new board. I have spend over 2 months trying to reverse engineer this board with no luck.

I'm not interested in understanding the current board as this would be impossibly difficult without schematics; however these are some points which I noticed while reverse engineering the board.

• It uses Positive and Negative voltages
  • It uses an IRFP360 (I think to take the load as it has a large heat-sink too)
  • Used 7808 and 7815 connected in a very strange manner... possibly to create negative voltage? ???
  • And uses 4 ICs mainly MC14081BCP, HEF4047BP, MC14528BCP, LM324N

Thanks
X