Electronics-Lab.com Community

Flyback Help

HVmaster221

Hi. I'm new to the forums. I was experimenting with a color TV flyback, using a 2N3055 driver (I DO NOT want to kill myself with a ZVS) and i was getting an arc to ground with a spark gap I built, and then out of nowhere; my flyback stopped working. I was using a 10 volt 750 mA power supply. I checked the power supply with my multi-meter and it still read 10 volts and 750mA. I checked my transistor by using a different circuit and the transistor was fine. None of my resistors blew, but I did find one thing: my flyback was giving out .9 volts on the secondary! I'm thinking that I might have to buy a new flyback. If anybody knows where to get a cheap flyback online for about 6 US dollars, it would be great.

post-78549-14279144436732_thumb.jpg

It sounds like the secondary voltage on the flyback exceeded its maximum rating causing the insulation to fail, arc over and internally short circuit. The only fix is a new flyback.

To prevent this from happening again do the following: add more turns to the primary or reduce the power supply voltage and never operate the flayback open circuit.