Electronics-Lab.com Community

Wireless task taker device

I would like to have some suggestions about how I could realise a device that is able to make an easy wireless connection (tx and rx) and switch on and off a couple of LEDs.

Device description

• There is a device and a PC. When the device and the PC handshake, the device switches on a green LED.
  • Pressing the (only) button on the device the LED turns red (green OFF, red ON) and a signal has to be sent to the PC.
  • The PC can identify which device has made the transmission. When a button is pressed on the PC's program, the LED on the device turns back green (green ON, red OFF), like to say "I got the device x has taken the task".
  • The transmission will always start from the device.

Further characteristics

Range: 10s of metres;
Obstacles: plasterboards walls (with metallic framework), mobile phones;
Hypothetical solutions: WiFi and access-point or any not standard wireless communication;
Budget: the cheapest, the easiest;
# items: 3 (at the beginning);
Software side: no problem on the PC side.

I do not have any (really any) idea about where to start. I have never done any wireless communication, so this is a completely new field for me. So, I would be very glad also to receive a suggestion about what to read.

Many thanks indeed to anyone who can leave a feedback :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

Ok I did this with the right parts in about 10 minutes. Very simple.

You need to buy an Arduino. http://www.arduino.cc/
And either a Wifi Shield or an Xbee Shield. Let me explain in simple terms. The Arduino was designed to have small boards plugged into it. These boards can actually stack on top of each other. Such boards are called SHIELDS. So in simple terms, if you want to communicate using bluetooth, you need to buy a bluetooth shield. If you need GPS and GPRS, you need to find a GPS/GPRS shield. If you need both, you buy both and stack them on top of each other.

Now I mentions Xbee... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBee
Xbee is actually a TX / RX Device which is easily programmed using the XBEE software.

An Arduino can be programmed using a language called Processing (its actually a sub set of Java... meanings its identical to Java but with limited features).

Recommended Shopping List:
1. Arduino
2. Xbee Shield (this is just a board)
3. Xbee Module (the actual transmitter and receiver)

You must make a lot of reading too because I cannot possible tell you everything here but for example Arduino is open source, meaning there are many different sizes, shapes and uses for Arduino as everyone can make his own. For example a lillypad is an arduino on a circular board which can be implanted into your jacket or whatever crazy idea you want to think of.

Also Xbee there are 2 versions. Version 1 has a different use the Version 2... I would go for Version 2 as its slightly more complex, but the main purpose is to make a MESH http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_networking which is your case.

Any ways Good luck and do a lot of reading.

• 2 weeks later...

May I ask you with which Arduino board should I start? I.e., what do you think is the best for my specific project between Arduino Uno, Mega 2560, Duemilanove, Mega ADK, Diecimila, Nano, Fio, Pro etc..? It is a jungle of devices out there, an it's scarring me a bit!