Electronics-Lab.com Community

Types of nonlinear loads?????

eagle-89

• 6 months later...

Any circuit contains active components is non-linear, as an example power switches like semiconductors are no-linear, let say dc-dc converter is a nonlinear because it has IGBT power switches to transfer the energy between the circuits, transistors are another type of active components so when they are placed in the circuit, they make it exhibit non-linear behaviour, diodes sometimes are considered non-linear,
The circuits that contains passive components like resistors, inductors and capacitors are considered linear
So to make it easy if you see the V-I characteristics, so you can figure out if the component is linear or non linear
Hope this has helped 

• 3 months later...
Guest garyson

Nonlinear loads can be categories into three types.

* Voltage stiff loads such as diode rectifier with capacitive filter at DC link feeding VSI-based AC motor drive, computer's power supplies etc. these loads draw nonsinusoidal currents from grid.

* Current stiff loads such as thyristor-converter-fed DC motor drives or CSI based AC drives or HVDC systems.

*The Mixer of these two type. neither stiff voltage nor stiff current.

• 2 months later...
Guest remonx6

Sounds very interesting and helpful! Thanks for sharing Author.

A linear load takes a current proportional to voltage applied. If you increase the voltage from 10V to 20V, current should double. Resistors will do that. Lamps will not. The lamp has a resistance which is in turn dependent on the power dissipated. This increases with applied voltage  ;D and hence resistance can go up as voltage is increased. This is a non linear load.  >:( Another example is the diode, If you get 100mA  ;) at 0.8V, do not ry giving 1.6V to get 200mA. The voltage increase required may just be 40mV, and at 1.6 V, the diode might fail.
Linear loads: resistors, transformers with secondary load as resistors.
Nonlinear: a lamp (incandescent), a diode, very many loads such as switching regulator. This switching regulator will actually take lesser  :-* current at higher voltages!!

If more help reply me back i will to ans ....
let me know after reading i'm waiting for your reply
Thanks
Eng remon