Electronics-Lab.com Community

Obscure 555 circuit

Guest lordoxford

Guest lordoxford

Hi!,
I need a simple magnetometer to locate a number of buried magnets each of which marks the site of (wait for it!) a wild orchid in a much-walked on public park.
I've pushed the magnets into the ground over a couple of years and wish to locate and photograph the plants to see if they move from year to year or remain in the same spot.
I've made a number of attempts to get this device:
_________http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP84iJlQCDI_________ to work but so far - no joy.
So this circuit has become, for me, a monkey on my back - I cannot shake it off!
I know about flux-gate and proton-precession magnetometers etc but this one can hide within my walking stick and not show where these rare plants lie as I prod about.
I have thin strips of annealed mumetal as the saturable components and have wound a number of coils for my prototypes.
The principle appears quite sound but . . . . . !

Apologies for being a bit off-topic but I've just found this site and expect to contribute on-topic in the future!
(I'm retired but span the period from "Valves" to "Quantum dots" and I promise to respect this site and its members).
Cheers!
lox.