Electronics-Lab.com Community

Single Chip Temperature Data Logger

Guest wizkids

Guest wizkids

My daughter wants to build the temp data logger listed in the electronics lab site.
As a novice, I read the provided list of components, circuit diagram, and photos, but I have some questions.
Please indicate
1) what specific RS232 components (pin headers, cables, sockets???) are required,
2) what specific diode is used in series for reverse polarity protection,
3) what specific LED is used,
4) What circuit element is labeled in the photo as Vpp, NC, data, Ck, Vcc, Gnd,
5) What specific power switch is used?
I would buy these at jameco or other supply if I knew what to order.

http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/test/012/

Have you thought about using something like this  http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-data-logger-shield ?

You would need to get a Arduino  to plug the shield  into, but the Arduino could be used for numerous other projects.   The listed project will require a programmer to flash the microchip whereas the Arduino can be done with a simple cable and there is plenty of available programs .  There are battery power supply cords  that plug right in to the Arduino  when separated from the computer  or the complete setup
http://www.adafruit.com/products/249

Guest wizkids

Thanks!! The PIC12F683 gadget seemed simpler than the Arduino, but I'll reconsider, especially if no intel on the rs-232 connection elements. The program to run the PIC chip is cited with the project, but I do not know if it will work in my hands.

I don't think we have connected on the issue of programming the chip.  When you asked the question

4) What circuit element is labeled in the photo as Vpp, NC, data, Ck, Vcc, Gnd,
  It concerns me that you don't recognize that it takes a programming board to move the program from the computer to your board.  The pins that you have identified in question 4 are used as a connector to  "Flash" the PIC12F683.  I use AVR chips so I don't know which programmers are the cheapest to complete the job.  That's why I suggested an Arduino because it uses a simple cable to flash the program.  No separate programming board is required.

your other questions are easy to answer

A 1/2 watt 1N4001 diode will easily do the job
A basic 5mm red led will work
Just about any off/on switch that fits a pcb board will work  as the project consumes very little current
the rs-232 is a label for the right angle male headers that connect to the chip, but frankly without reviewing the data sheet for the PIC I don't know how you would know how to connect the wires from the header to the PIC because it is now shown on the site you referenced.

Guest wizkids

Thanks again for your generous time. I will request help from a local if we continue. The posted project instructions lack many details that are important for a rank beginner. It would be nice if the inventor would add further explanation.