Electronics-Lab.com Community

Building an amplifier

Guest abador08

Guest abador08

I recently posted about using an outdated amplifier for a proposed project that I was wanting to work on. I am still at the bottom of the progress and am still trying to figure out what ic to use and figuring out the power supply and everything. I would like to keep the project right around $20 if possible. Currently I am buying my components from Newark. I plan to use an audio jack as an input so that I can make the connection pretty universal so I can hook my laptop up tp it mostly but also so I can hook my mp3 player up to it if i would like to. I have seen amps that have huge caps in the power supply, what is the purpose of these caps? I would like to have stereo sound produced from the amplifier so I will probably need at least two channels. I would like to have the option of hooking up a sub woofer as well if it doesn't make the project too much more complicated or much more expensive. I would also like to have the option to control the bass which as far as my understanding goes is simply putting a low pass filter between two pins on the amplifier. I am also looking for a good ic to use so feel free to give your input on this as well.

In your other thread the TDA7297 bridged stereo amplifier IC was recommended. Did you see its datasheet? Newark has them in stock.
A lowpass filter does not boost the bass, instead it cuts the highs. A bass boost circuit is half of a simple bass-treble tone controls circuit.
Adding a subwoofer needs a third amplifier for it, a highpass filter for both stereo channels and a lowpass filter for the input to the sub-woofer amplifier.

In your other thread the TDA7297 bridged stereo amplifier IC was recommended. Did you see its datasheet? Newark has them in stock.
A lowpass filter does not boost the bass, instead it cuts the highs. A bass boost circuit is half of a simple bass-treble tone controls circuit.
Adding a subwoofer needs a third amplifier for it, a highpass filter for both stereo channels and a lowpass filter for the input to the sub-woofer amplifier.

I got my old account back so this is abador08. I'm not going to use abador08 anymore and am going to keep this as my primary account. I looked up the data sheet but it's a little difficult for me to figure out the schematic. I think the box in the middle must be the ic because the pins are listed on the outside of it. Is the circuit inside of the box the circuitry inside the ic ir is that part of what needs to be put together? I guess the reason for me asking about the ics again is just to get ideas of more ics that might work so I can have more of a variety to pick from.

Guest liquibyte

Also I just looked at the amp on newark and the page with the item says they charge a $20 freight charge per order. Is that something I would have to pay or is it some kind of complicated thing that I don't understand?

Also, Mouser and Digikey.  Since we don't know where you're at, shipping will vary based on that.  I'm in MA right now and have ordered stuff from both of these and shipping is under $10 for a low weight order.  Having said that, it's cheaper to over order with the added benefit of having stock on hand for next time.  For passive assortments use Ebay (trick is US only, free shipping) unless you need something special.  I don't use Newark because their website was coded by idiots.

I looked up the data sheet but it's a little difficult for me to figure out the schematic. I think the box in the middle must be the ic because the pins are listed on the outside of it. Is the circuit inside of the box the circuitry inside the ic ir is that part of what needs to be put together?

Since you do not understand the extremely simple schematic then maybe you should buy an amplifier that is already made.

I guess the reason for me asking about the ics again is just to get ideas of more ics that might work so I can have more of a variety to pick from.

You were given 3 choices. Narrow down how much power, what supply voltage??