Electronics-Lab.com Community

Batteriser - Evaluating their claim to get 80% more energy from batteries

ElectronMan1

Hi there!

I think this new product called Batteriser is a bunch of marketing hype and won't stand up to any real tests.

I would not recommend anyone purchase this product and instead wait for the reviews to come out and to be very skeptical

It's a stainless steel sleeve that goes over a battery and has a micro DC booster to step up the voltage to 1.5V to "get 80% more out of battery" - they used to say 800% longer

Their website http://batteriser.com/

I try to keep an open mind and interested in any thoughts people may have. 

Dave Jones over at the EEVblog did a debunking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iEshd6izgk

My thoughts:

• No battery level monitor or low battery warning would be very annoying
  • Can it really keep up with the high current drain, can it really handle several amps?
  • Shorting risk, would not want to be shorting out D cells with these things
  • Battery leakage risk due to over-discharge
  • Cannot use with rechargeable batteries due to over-discharge reasons
  • Company is dodgy as, very shady testing methods. They said 1.4V - 1.35V for normal battery is considered "dead".. gimme a break
  • There is only maybe 10% of battery capacity left at 1.1V, and the boost converter will need to draw current from this 10% to operate and the efficiency will be terrible.. not worth it

One thing I don't know and would like to know is, would a product hit its "cut off voltage" and turn off if it dipped under that voltage of say 1.1V only for a moment? Say with a camera when it takes a flash and charges the capacity, there could be a voltage sag which takes it under 1.1V for a moment, but then would shoot back up. Would this Batteriser then be useful to stop this? With a new battery that voltage may only drop momentarily to 1.3V, but over time it drops to 1.1V for that very short period of time..

Interested in your thoughts!

Edited by ElectronMan1

I use AA alkaline cells only for very low current products where the idle current of The Batterizer is higher. Then it wastes more power than it saves.

I use AA Ni-MH rechargeable cells for high current products that The Batterizer cannot supply.

The marketing people know that many people are gullible and believe their lies.