Electronics-Lab.com Community

How to adapt Li-ion batteries to replace AA batteries

johnpham

Li-ion batteries are so much better than AA batteries, with few of them we can get the energy of several AA
my question is, would all the mAh damage the circuitry of ordinary toys and stuff?
How can I use 2 3,7 v 1000mAh batteries to replace 8 AA batteries?
what circuitry is needed for diminishing the amperage and rise the voltage?

------------------------------------------------

top ringtones, mp3 ringtones download, bollywood ringtones

mAh is how long a battery will supply the current, not its maximum current.

Besides, a load only draws as much current that it uses and not more unless it is shorted. Your car battery can provide hundreds of Amps to the starter when it is cold but the clock uses only a few thousandths of an Amp from the same battery and the clock does not blow up.

A lithium battery cell is about 3V when it must be disconnected (or it is destroyed), to 4.2V when it is fully charged and no higher. Then two cells in series produce 6V to 8.4V.

AA cells are 1.6V for new alkaline to 1.45V for fully charged Ni-MH. 8 in series produce 11.6V to 12.8V when new or fully charged.

A special charger is needed for a Lithium battery. A low battery voltage must be detected and it turns off the battery. Use three Lithium cells in series for 9V to 12.6V or use a "boost converter" to boost the voltage of two cells. 

• 1 year later...

To replace 8 AA's with Li-ion's you will need to make it three, not two.
I suppose it depends on how sensitive the equipment it, but I myself use 3X 14500 batteries in my radio control remotes instead of 8X NIMH or alkaline AA's. I use dummy batteries to fill in the spaces. Capacity will be down, but in my case I don't mind as the batteries in the remote will outlast any of the batteries in the actual vehicle you are controlling with the remote.

• 9 months later...