Electronics-Lab.com Community

Car subwoofer and amplifier

audioguru

Hi Guys,
My son just got a subwoofer and amplifier from E-Bay. We installed it with 4 paralleled 20A fuses! The amp is 350W RMS.
I kept telling him to turn it down for proper balance but he likes it so that the bass kicks you really hard. My clothes were shaking with the beat! It is so loud that my ears distort before it does. I burnt my hand on the amp. He drained his car battery the 1st evening so the next morning I had to give it a boost.
My son has the ability of buying things cheap then selling them for more. He bought a cheap car radio (head unit), then another better one and and now an excellent one. He does the same with car parts, wheels and tires, and computers.

Hi Ante,
My son has started a pretty good business. He sees on a car chat thread that someone needs a part. Then he phones the local junkyard/car graveyard and they check their database. I have tagged along while we wander around there (it is huge without signs, you must count rows and columns) and find the car that has that part and he removes it with his wrench. The parts are really cheap when we check-out and sometimes they say, "no charge".
He sells the parts for about 1/2 the cost of new ones!
Once a "mechanic" there ripped apart a car and removed its engine that my son wanted. No charge for the mechanic's time. While waiting, it is interesting to see them flatten old cars and new rusty Fords down to nearly nothing.
The Japanese importers of car clips/engines that we visit is a new story. Have you seen a clip? It is 1/2 of a car, usually just the front. Sometimes its turn-signal is still blinking and the engine is warm. ;D

You have a powerful alternator but my son's is probably good enough. It charges much better if the engine is running! ;D
He didn't run the engine because the alternator belt slipped and made a loud "chirp" with each bass beat! ;D

Thanks Ante,
That's a very cool cap. But it costs more than a whole 500W amplifier!
It would smooth the current flow from the alternator/battery and cancel the voltage drop on the 4-guage supply wire to the amp, allowing even more output power.
Hey. That huge cap isn't big enough. It will supply 50A for less than one second before its voltage discharges down to where it would be without it. Many bass notes play much longer than a fraction of a second. They would start strong, then fade into severe distortion, like a cheap home stereo with a high "music-power" rating but low "continuous RMS" rating.
Instead of a bunch of paralleled expensive caps, it is probably better to install a 2nd battery right at the amp. I know, then you'll have to ventilate it somehow.

• 18 years later...